Friday, October 11, 2013

My Thoughts on World War Z

So my Mother in law came to visit, and had my wife and I watch "World War Z". When I had first heard about the movie, some three plus years ago, I was excited. I never read the book, but the idea of a big budget Zombie movie excited me. Once the trailers came out I was less than amused with what I was seeing. It looked like super fast zombies with super human strength,  that all worked together, which would show intelligence.  Not cool in my book.
After the movie came out I heard from many people (most whose judgement I don't trust when it comes to movies) that it was a great zombie movie. That was it for me, I wasn't going to waste my time on another Hollywood failure.
Which brings us to last night, where I broke down and rented the movie.
My thoughts on the movie are as follows:
1. The movie definitely has great entertainment value. It keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time.
2. With that, the film stars Brad Pitt. He is a great actor and I haven't seen a film with Brad Pitt that I didn't like.
3. Are they really Zombies? This is a question for debate. While the catatonic state they are in until they hear sound says yes, very little of any of their other behavior links them to zombies. Are they consuming human flesh to survive? No. They bite people purely to spread the "virus" or "plague".
4.Jerusalem just happens to build a wall based on a communication heard from India? They could stop a war to build a giant wall? (Which, SPOILER ALERT, didn't work)
5.This is something in the plot that I'm not sure if I like or not. SPOILER ALERT: In order to defeat the "zombies" one must "camouflage" themselves with a major sickness. If you're sick, the "zombies" ignore you, making it easy to sneak up on them and kill them. Problem solved and humanity lives on.
Maybe that's my problem with the film, humanity wins. In every other zombie film, the message is no hope for humanity (exclude horror comedy "Shaun of the Dead", and "Fido"), and they took that away from us. Zombies are meant to be a total destruction force that we cannot escape, so to see a serious zombie film deny that and change it, well, it doesn't sit right with me.
What did you guys think about the movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment